There are many causes of foot infection, and they can be bacteria, viruses or fungi. Every problem has to be treated with adequate medicine or appliance, so this is mostly a job for the doctor. Specialists who work in this field and also with lover limbs are podiatrists.
There are few signs for every infection
Depending on the cause, infection of the foot has different symptoms.
- Change in color. When the foot is infected, the first sign is redness of the skin. White patches are a sign of athlete’s foot, while yellow nails are a possible sign of fungi.
- Warmth. The skin may feel hot to the touch if it’s infected.
- Smell. Sometimes you can notice a bad smell, for example, athlete’s foot and the ingrown nail can cause odor.
- Swelling. It is mostly from inflammation. It can be limited only in are where the inflammation is, or it can spread to the whole foot.
- Fever. If the inflammation is severe, you can have a fever.
- Fluid drainage or pus. This can happen if you have an abscess.
Pain and inflammation are the clear signs that something is wrong
As we already said, the infections are usually caused by pathogenic microorganisms. So, common infections, depending on the type of microorganism, are:
1.Plantar warts. Is an infection caused by the HPV virus, and is quite common, no matter the age. This virus forms a rough circle of the skin on your foot, mostly on the heel and on the base of the toes. They look like a callus, but they also have little black spots in the center. The bad news is that they can be passed on to others if you share your socks, shoes or towel.
The good news is that skin can get rid of the virus by itself, but if that doesn’t happen, there are great remedies that you can try. One of the very efficient treatments today for plantar warts is laser treatment such as https://www.modpodpodiatry.com.au/plantar-wart-treatment/.
Warts are curable, but it will take some time
2.Athlete’s foot. It’s also a common infection of the foot caused by fungi. Fungi love dark, warm and wet places, so if you are in tight shoes, sweating for a long time, it is possible that you get a fungal infection. Infection begins on the toes, but it can spread on other parts of the body. It is contagious and can be spread through contact on floors, clothing or towels.
There are different possible treatments for this infection and the podiatrist will choose the best one for you. If you are looking for a clinic that can resolve this problem, and you are living in Australia, you can check Mosman foot clinic like ModPod Podiatry.
If you notice some of the upper signs on your foot, visit your doctor, and with good medication, it should be fine. But if you don’t see improvement, visit a specialist and cure your infection once and for all.